problem with standard libc on 8xx

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Fri Feb 27 21:18:33 EST 2004

> In message
> <9CFB9DA5261CD611A29B00508B78904807F880ED at ex-deu-munich02.forc
> e.de> you wrote:
> >
> > I created my own root-fs for a MPC8xx platform
> > using standard Debian packages (including libc).
> > When I start the system, the init scripts hangs
> > I guess that the Debian libc uses floating point - which
>
> Thi sis definitely one cause of the problem.  Another  one  might  be
> optimization  for  a  incorrect  cache  line  size  (32 instead of 16
> bytes).

Also, you must make sure you don't use any cache instructions such
as dcbz. I believe the optimized memset function i glibc uses dcbz.

The mpc8xx CPU has a HW bug which makes the TLB exceptions fail
for most cache instructions. There is a workaround for this, but it
is somewhat ugly. Search the embedded archives if you want to known more.

   Jocke