inflate returned FFFFFFFD - what does this error exactly mean ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 31 10:08:34 EST 2004

Hi Alex,

in message <313680C9A886D511A06000204840E1CF0A647439 at whq-msgusr-02.pit.comms.marconi.com> you wrote:

> After few days of wondering through debugging (and with great help) I fixed
> (by inserting watch dog resets into beginning of  while loops in zlib
> functions) my first problem -strange reboot failures during decompression of

You know why I recommended U-Boot :-)

> Now I am getting "controlled" failure (during the same decompression as
> described above):
>
> I_BAD
> return Z_DATA_ERROR
> after zlib_inflate
> inflate returned FFFFFFFD
> exit
>
> what does this error exactly mean ?

Most probably it means that the areas where the compressed  image  is
stored   and   to  where  you  copy  the  uncompressed  code  to  are
over-lapping. Try storing the compressed image at  a  higher  address
(like 0x400000 or so).

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x
10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could
forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is  a  nanocentury.
                                               -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs