video card for Lite5200

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Fri Dec 10 18:45:14 EST 2004

Hi,

On Friday 10 December 2004 02:33, wangwenbin wrote:
> Hi all
>
>    I have successfully boot Linux 2.4.22 on my Lite5200 Evaluation Board with the ELDK. but when I want to use PCI slot for the video card,something goes wrong. The whole board loses supply of electricity. And i take the video card out ,the board is still ok. So i change to put RTL81390 network card into PCI slot. The same thing happen.
>     The video card i have tried :
>             S3 Trio64V
>             Trident TGUI9680
>             S3 ViRGE/DX
>    Then I ask the Freescale support, they tell me that these board can operate in 5V slot only, While the PCI slot on Lite5200 only offers 3.3V. These days though I search much information about vedio card. I still don't which card can fit Lite5200.And I knew that the new CoralP PCI video card can support Lite5200. Can I get it from market? Anyway I really worry about this, so I turn here and ask your help.and I really appreciate your help! thanks a lot! (There was something wrong with my mailbox,I could not receive the letters these days.So I post it again)
>                Best Regards,
> 			   Tony Wang
>         stcwang at 163.net

first of all, you need to take care of the PCI cards you use. As the Freescale support and
also the manuals say: "Only 3.3V compliant PCI cards". In the meantime there are quite a lot
of burned-out boards because of "wrong" cards.
Next problem with the PCI bus on this board is, that because of some timing issues not all
cards will be detected, so it'll be hard to find a video card, that matches these requirements.
The only card that I know, which seems to work AND is somehow supported is a CORAL-P evaluation
board from Fujitsu. But this one is rather expensive.
I tried also and old Nvidia Riva 128 card, which was detected correctly, but is not
initialized correctly by the framebuffer driver.

Regards,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software