Linux PCI support on Ocotea

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Dec 9 12:49:58 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:10:54PM -0800, Chris Love wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have an Ocotea reference board (PPC 440GX) w/256M and have
> tried running both stable 2.4.26 and 2.6.10-rc3 kernels from
> penguinppc.org.  For now the bootloader is still PIBS, though
> we'll get U-Boot installed shortly.
>
> As a first experiment we've tried installing a legacy card
> with an Intel 82559 device on it.  The warning seen from
> pci_setup_device() suggests that PCI config space wasn't
> read cleanly: a header type of 0x7f is encountered.  Nothing
> shows up under /proc/bus/pci. The card we'd actually like to
> install has a transparent bridge (Intel 21152) and other devices
> behind the bridge.  Both cards are PCI-33 versus PCI-X.

Sounds like something is wrong with your hardware configuration.

> To ask some really stupid questions first: what is the state of
> PCI support with linux on this board?  Have others tried to do
> something like this with 33/66 Mhz PCI devices or am I in
> uncharted waters?

No, this works fine for many other people, so don't get too worried.
Do verify that you have jumpered for 33Mhz operation since you
are using a 33Mhz device. PIBS should warn you about this and
advise to make the change, but maybe you have a different
version than I've seen. What rev. ocotea board and version of
PIBS do you have?

> Of the PCI #defines in platforms/ocotea.h I can correlate most
> with data from the user's manual, but not the following:
>
> #define OCOTEA_PCI_LOWER_IO     0x00000000
> #define OCOTEA_PCI_UPPER_IO     0x0000ffff
> #define OCOTEA_PCI_LOWER_MEM    0x80000000
> #define OCOTEA_PCI_UPPER_MEM    0xffffefff
>
> Is there some documentation I'm missing on these values?

The code is self-documenting as they say. :) These are the address
ranges used by the pci_auto code to assign base addresses to each
BAR that is encountered.

-Matt