(Very) Simple question(s) compared to group topics

Mark Chambers markc at mail.com
Sun Dec 5 02:08:42 EST 2004

If you go by MIPS, it takes very approximately 1000MIPS to decode DVD
quality MPEG2.
I don't think floating point helps with MPEG2, not sure about MPEG4.  You
also have to
think about memory bandwidth with an application like video.  All settop box
designs that
I'm aware of have some kind of MPEG decode coprocessor, either a separate
chip or built
into the main processor (like ATI Xilleon).

Mark Chambers
wvcomputronics.com