Does ext2 based on MTD acceptable for Embedded Development?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 27 17:39:57 EST 2004

In message <412EFA07.27872.405FEB at localhost> you wrote:

> > still want to consult with you such a question.Dose
> > ext2 filesystem besed on MTD a acceptable option?
>
> I would not use ext2 on MTD.

We do, and it works perfect. You just want to make sure to  mount  it
read-only.

> JFFS2 is much better for that purpose for in contrast to ext2, it is
> power down reliable and performs wear leveling.

These  features  are  only  interesting  when  you  need  a  writable
filesystem.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Program maintenance is an entropy-increasing process,  and  even  its
most skilfull execution only delays the subsidence of the system into
unfixable obsolescence.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"