[SPAM] Re: m8xx hang in reboot

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Aug 26 22:57:41 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 06:28, Mark S. Mathews wrote:
> This is interesting, thanks Stefan.
>
> One item of info that I had left out of the original post (because I
> hadn't verified 100% that this was truly part of the issue):
>    The "certain circumstances" prior to the reboot failure are:
>      1) we've just completed an unlock/erase/write on one of our flash
>         partitions.
>      2) the wlan device that's attached to the pcmcia interface was
>         previously in use.
>
> If the wlan device was not in use or if we don't do the flash
> unlock/erase/write, then the reboot works just fine.  Strange combination
> of factors.

Do either of those use 'printk()'?  I've seen this failure if the
caches currently hold everything in the printk path - it's actually
the call to printk that causes the bad bus cycles.  Try flushing or
even disabling the caches just before the printk in the reset routine.

Note: I would think that if the problem were the FLASH being in the
wrong mode (suggested by Mark), then the whole thing would freeze,
rather than sitting in the while() loop...

--
Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates