How to port ppc-linux to new custom boards? (virtexII)

Song Sam samlinuxppc at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Aug 24 20:01:45 EST 2004

Patrick Huesmann <tricknology at gmx.de> wrote£º

> > > 3) Is there a way to get a self-decompressing kernel image?
> >
> > Yes. look at arc/ppc/boot/simple for some targets which have a
> > self-decompressing kernel. (Amongst which is our port to the Insight
> > V2PRO board).
>
> Hmm. The denx tutorial states that the bootloader *must* decompress
> the kernel. If that's not true (anymore), then I might not have to use
> u-boot as second stage bootloader.

There isn't *MUST* decompress in U-Boot because U-Boot
can boot compressed and unconpressed kernel
respectively.In addition, if using U-Boot as second
stage bootloader,the process couldn't easier than
porting U-Boot on your custom board. I never thought a
so-called boot loader couldn't boot a standard linux
kernel.:-)

Good luck!

Sam