8260 FCC buffer underrun

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Aug 17 22:48:36 EST 2004

Hi Jeff,

This sounds like (in order of likelyhood) a memory access, CPM too busy, or a FCC prioritization problem.  The FCC has a 192 byte FIFO.  If your packet has fewer than 192 bytes, it will probably go out OK (witness ARP replies).  If it is larger than 192 bytes, the CPM DMA engine has to go fetch more data.  Apparently it is not getting its data soon enough, which causes the underrun.

Some questions...
* I don't understand your note above "The hardware works because PlanetCore with bk pull of linuxppc-2.4.27 works fine...".  If it works fine, what is broken?  What is different from the "works fine" load and the broken load?  The root of the problem will lie there.

* Where are your buffers?  Local memory or 60x memory?  What is competing for that memory?

* Which FCC are you using?  IIRC, FCC3 has errata wrt DMA engine priority.

* What else is the CPM doing while you are trying to Tx?

* If you do a minimum packet size ping, does it work?  If so, increase the size of the ping packet, when does it break?

gvb