2.4 versus 2.6 patches

Song Sam samlinuxppc at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Aug 10 15:58:26 EST 2004

Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo.tosatti at cyclades.com> wrote£º
> I think what David means is that v2.6 is the new platform where all
> development effort is being done. Most of its core code, in general,
> is much cleaner than v2.4.

Thanks for your insight on 2.6 nice characters.

> I disagree with him when he says "v2.4 is dead" (I coudlnt otherwise
> :)), because its still maintained and will be for years. And its still
> in use by a lot of folks.

Yeah,I am so happy to see v2.4 is still supported
officially.2.4.27 was released a couple of days ago.So
mother tree is alive but ppc child tree was dead.
I wonder if I have a patch vs 2.4 branch on ppc,could
I send to Marcelo Tosatti directly?

> But his point is that new development efforts should be based on the
> new, shiny, improved v2.6 kernel, since that is where all development
> is focused at. And as time passes, v2.4 will get more and more
> obsolete.

I am looking forward to seeing the day coming. :-)

> Unfortunately for 8xx users, as noted by other people on this thread,
> v2.6 is not yet 100% (wish it was, I'm myself trying to get our boards
> to boot v2.6).

Could you make it? I once booted v2.6 on RPXlite DW
via ramdisk root file system but failed via NFS.

Best regards,

Sam