Question on RTC options (CONFIG_RTC, CONFIG_GEN_RTC, CONFIG_PPC_RTC)

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 7 08:02:21 EST 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:51:03PM -0500, Tolunay Orkun wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:23:26PM -0500, Tolunay Orkun wrote:
> >
> > The generic driver makes use of the ppc_md.*_rtc_time hooks, so that's
> > the right place to start.  See include/asm-ppc/genrtc.h for the
> > PPC-specific portions of the genrtc driver, and these bits are what have
> > to return the right values for your board/rtc chip.
>
> Thanks. I will look to implement these functions.
>
> Do you happen know what it would take to use the DS1307 driver from LM
> Sensors package? Has anyone used LMSensors with PPC Linux?

LM Sensors implies i2c, which means you'd have to use that, or add a few
more hooks to genrtc (a probe is required for i2c, but not others, maybe
others) to get it working w/ that driver.  But you'd still be using the
main i2c subsystem, which I think you've said is too heavy.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/