for the ml300, edk generated linux code vs. the kenel code

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 25 07:49:57 EST 2003

We're developing on the ml300 board, using the Xilinx EDK with the ELDK.
  I've been able to bring up the kernel (built using the EDK) on the
v2pro loaded with the system.ace files from the samples that ship with
the ml300, but I've had a lot of problems building the kernel to come up
on the ml300 system ace file that we generate ourselves using the EDK.

In the EDK we go through the process of creating the system ace file
(this is using the ml300_edk1 example from Xilinx and the
system_linux.xmp project stuff) and then generating the linux code to go
with that system.ace file.

I'm able to bring up my kernel built straight from the linuxppc tree
until it fails trying to access the keyboard (our design doesn't have
the ps2).

However, I'm having problems building the ppc kernel without ps2
support, and using the kernel code generated by the edk is also
problematic.  The xilinx_ml300.c/h files (which aren't generated by the
EDK) seem oriented to what I saw in the old v2pdk.

When trying to build the kernel without keyboard support, everything
compiles but then I get a linker error about undefined references to the
x8042 functions (which I think are supposed to make the xilinx
mouse/keyboard stuff look like regular ps/2 stuff).  If I try compiling
with keyboard support, I get compile time errors because variables
needed to build the keyboard support which are defined in the main
kernel tree source aren't defined (or at least not defined the same way)
in the EDK generated source.

Info, suggestions, anything would be apreciated.

Thanks,

-Charles