mpc8xx memory mapped 16550A uart garbage

Lokesh Kumar kumar.lokesh at wrx-us.com
Wed Oct 15 23:42:04 EST 2003

Hi,
I got the serial.c from DENX linuxppc_2.4._devel tree which has support for
16550A as memory mapped uart, and am using it as a module. I made
modifications to match my board. When I start it, it correctly recognizes
that I have a 16550A and at correct IRQ. However, when I open and send
something through the port (I just do cat>/dev/ttySe0), I get garbage on the
other side. My 16550 has a crystal of 3.6864MHz and the processor runs at
49MHz. I thought that this kind of garbage problem is generally due to baud
rate not set correctly. I see the divisor correctly calculated as
3686400/16/9600 = 24 and being sent to 16550. What else could I be doing
wrong?

Thanks

Lokesh Kumar
Wireless Matrix USA Inc.