Silicon Motion VGA controllers and PPC architecture

Laurent Mohin laurent.mohin at acterna.com
Thu Nov 13 19:16:48 EST 2003

----- Forwarded by Laurent Mohin/STE/Global on 13/11/03 09:16 -----

Laurent Mohin
13/11/03 08:25

        To:     llandre <r&d at wawnet.biz>
        cc:     "'Mark Powell'" <medp at primagraphics.co.uk>
        Subject:        Re: Silicon Motion VGA controllers and PPC architecture

Hi,

We do use a SMI712 chip from Silicon Motion on an embedded 405GP board and
we have made it work without to more difficulties. The only real problem
you would be faced to is little endian manipulation, as always with this
kind of chip.
I also agree with Mark Powell concerning documentation which is very poor
and only describe registers contents, not the way to initialize the chip.

You will find a driver for it on u-boot and also a framebuffer driver in
Linux (at least in 2.4.20 if I remember well). You will also find an
accelerated driver for Xfree (I haven't tested it yet).

Laurent MOHIN
Acterna

llandre <r&d at wawnet.biz>
Sent by: owner-linuxppc-embedded at lists.linuxppc.org