dhcp help!

Yuxiao Xi xiyuxiao at harbournetworks.com
Wed Nov 5 12:16:41 EST 2003

li
   Yes,I think that I configure the dhcp server correctly. I let one PC
to dynamically obtain IP address from the DHCP server I configured and
it got one smoothly from the server. Then I use 'ethereal' to capture
packets,and the result showed that "dhcp discover" packets and "dhcp
offer" packets were all correct.

>did you configure the dpcpd in the host properly?
>>
>>     Can anyone tell me where the mumber in_device *ip_ptr of the
>> struct net_device is initialized?
>>     I enable the DHCP and BOOTP kernel configurations,but I can not
>> boot my kernel successfully!
>>     The target sent dhcp discover message packet to the host
>> server,and the host server replied it with a dhcp offer message
>> packet.The target's ethernet card received the dhcp offer packet
>> and sent it to the IP protocol stack correctly.But the network
>> layer dropped the packet!I traced the packet receive process
>> and found that when the function ip_rcv_finish() was called,it
>> called the function ip_route_input(),then ip_route_input() called
>> ip_route_input_slow(),then ip_route_input() called in_device *in_dev
>> = in_dev_get(dev) which returned NULL! the source code of the
>> function in_dev_get(dev) is shown below:
>>
>> static __inline__ struct in_device *
>> in_dev_get(const struct net_device *dev)
>> {
>> 	struct in_device *in_dev;
>>
>> 	read_lock(&inetdev_lock);
>> 	in_dev = dev->ip_ptr;
>> 	if (in_dev)
>> 		atomic_inc(&in_dev->refcnt);
>> 	read_unlock(&inetdev_lock);
>> 	return in_dev;
>> }
>>
>>     I checked the kernel startup code and I found that when the
>> target dynamicly went to obtain its IP address,and when function
>> in_dev_get(dev) was called,the mumber in_device *ip_ptr of the struct
>> net_device *dev had not been initialized. I am confused by this
>> trouble.Is DHCP really used as I described? Did I make any mistake?
>>
>> BTW: I use montavista linux 2.1

            Yuxiao Xi
            xiyuxiao at harbournetworks.com