Early malloc function (MPC826x) ??

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 20 17:48:56 EST 2003

Dear Dimitris,

in message <20030520071839.36639.qmail at web9708.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Is there a function that I can call (for memory
> allocation (just like kmalloc)) but in the early init
> stage inside "m8260_cpm_dpalloc" or "m8260_cpm_reset"?
>  I want to implement "m8260_cpm_dpalloc" with linked
> lists, so that I can implement "m8260_cpm_dpfree" as
> well. But of course, with kmalloc( ,GFP_KERNEL), the
> system will not boot :))

Why do you want to re-invent the wheel?

This has been done before. Several times already.

See for example the DPRAM list allocator for the 8xx in our linux-2.4
kernel tree,  or  the  patches  submitted  by  Pantelis  Antoniou  in
December last year.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually a "No Exit" sign.