Flash File System

Rod Boyce rod_boyce at stratexnet.com
Thu Mar 27 06:55:04 EST 2003

Prakash,

I had exactly the same issues you are work through.  I evaluated JFFS2 for our development it was good but our board support package did not support loading a Linux kernel out of the JFFS2 partition this may have changed by now.
What you are going to have to do is partition the flash into sections.  A section for your BSP, a section for the linux kernel, and a section for the JFFS2 filesystem.
This way when you boot up copy the linux kernel into RAM and load it telling it to use the JFFS2 filesystem as its root filesystem.
Something like: root=/dev/mtd3 rw (any other parameters you want here)

I'm guessing the device node name here you are going to have to create the device node yourself and it can be called anything.

We strated out using micromon Ed Sutter has done a lot of work and it is very flexable (I really like his book a good read for beginners).  We only switched over to U-Boot because 2 years ago micromon did not support booting a Linux kernel.

I'm not sure about the licensing issues for TFS and micromon but you could create a loadable module to use the TFS file system in Linux but it has some major limitations under Linux Ed may even have something to use as a starting point.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Rod Boyce.