about flash_port_width

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 1 08:31:59 EST 2003

In message <OE14y3UiIMbhiv9sFU300001b52 at hotmail.com> you wrote:

>     I read the flash manual about INTEL 28F640J3A.I know it has two
> programming operations:Byte or Word.Byte is 8 bits and the Word is 16 bits.
>     but I refer some source code in PPCBOOT(/board/nx823/flash.c),I find a
> strange thing:

Please do NOT post PPCBoot related  questions  to  a  Linux  oriented
mailing list. This is off topic here.

Also note that PPCBoot  is  a  dead  end,  as  development  has  been
discuntinued.  You  should  base  any  current work on the successor,
U-Boot, only.

>     Here,"data" is ulong and "*addr" is vu_long ,they are both 32 bits.Does
> this mean programming operation is 32 bits?If so,it is opposition to the
> FLASH manual.Why?

This is just a configuration that uses two flash chips (one  for  the
lower 16 bits, the other for the upper 16 bits) to give a 32 bit wide
bus.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Anarchy may not be the best form of government, but it's better  than
no government at all.