GPL inconsistency in arch/ppc/ocp/xlinx/

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jun 13 06:55:23 EST 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:32:05PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 10:12:13PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > you seem to have added the the directory in the topic to the
> > LinuxPPC trees. Unfortunately they have a license consitency that
> > basically makes them illegal to distribute, they claim to be under
> > GPL but have the following notice:
> >
> > *     Xilinx products are not intended for use in life support
> > *     appliances, devices, or systems. Use in such applications are
> > *     expressly prohibited.
> >
> > Could you please contact Xilinc to clarify the license and/or remove
> > those files from the tree? Thanks.
>
> As there hasn't been any answer yet I think these files should be
> remove to ensure the linuxppc tree is legally distributable.

I think you should ask someone responsible first.  And on the correct
mailing list as well.  Armin is not responsible for this code, Scott
Anderson is.  Armin just put it into the linuxppc-2.5 tree.  Second,
Peter Ryser (who handles the Xilinx side of things) is on the
linuxppc-embedded list, where most of the 4xx people are.  Finally,
Peter knows about this, and last I knew was talking to their legal
department.  Peter, any news on this?

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/