What to change on u-boot if we want to remove SPD EEPROM?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 12 20:03:20 EST 2003

In message <20030612014745.47244.qmail at web41509.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> We want to remove SPD EEPROM on ppc440gp to lower the
> expense. The plan is to change u-boot code to use a
> memory buffer (filled with the content of SPD EEPROM).
> Is this possible?

Yes, it is. Actually only  very  few  systems  use  memory  with  SPD
EEPROMs.

> I removed the SPD EEPROM on my ppc440gp board, and
> changed u-boot code to use a memory buffer whenever
> the code need to access SPD EEPROM, however, I found

You should implement a proper initialization function for your memory
instead.

> What extra initialization should I do when SPD EEPROM
> is missing from the system?

This depends on your hardware (type of memory etc.).

Please note that such questions ore of topic here. You will  probably
receive more / better response on the u-boot-users mailing list.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Drun'? 'm not drun'! You woudn' dare call m' drun' if I was sober!
                                     - Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_