What to change on u-boot if we want to remove SPD EEPROM?

Bruno Li libruno at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 11:47:45 EST 2003

Hi:

We want to remove SPD EEPROM on ppc440gp to lower the
expense. The plan is to change u-boot code to use a
memory buffer (filled with the content of SPD EEPROM).
Is this possible?

I removed the SPD EEPROM on my ppc440gp board, and
changed u-boot code to use a memory buffer whenever
the code need to access SPD EEPROM, however, I found
that pci bus scan fails, u-boot stops at this line (of
pci_hose_scan_bus() in drivers/pci.c:
pci_hose_read_config_byte(hose, dev, PCI_HEADER_TYPE,
&header_type);

What extra initialization should I do when SPD EEPROM
is missing from the system?

Thanks,

Bruno