Running Linux From RAM

Johns Daniel jdaniel6 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 21:18:41 EST 2003

I would like to do some short-term development work on an evaluation
board. I was wondering whether I would be able to do this without
writing anything to the on-board FLASH -- which does have an embedded
monitor that will perform board initialization.

It is an 8260 board, and I have BDI2000 working on it. I can think of
two possibilities:
1. Use the BDI to download the Linux image to SDRAM. Execute the "go
<address>" command of the embedded monitor or the BDI.
2. Use the BDI to download U-Boot to SDRAM. Then get U-Boot to load the
Linux kernel.

Unfortunately, I need some more information:
- what Linux kernel target to make (make zImage?)
- what address to download the kernel or U-boot to
- what address to go to
- any customization necessary (e.g., hard code board info into the
embed_config.c file of arch/ppc/boot/simple/.)
- any sequence of steps that are critical

Any pointers or suggestions would be welcome!

-- Johns