Internal interrupts on the MPC107

Adrian Cox adrian at humboldt.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 21:46:37 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 00:56, Mark A. Greer wrote:

> [snip]
>  My guess is
> that your board's fw (or early kernel init code) is setting it up with
> the correct value but on the other systems you mentioned, the fw doesn't
> (and the reset value of 0x00 is returned).  Basically, if I'm
> interpreting the manual correctly, you probably need to do something
> other than count on the fw setting up that field in that reg correctly.

For boards derived from the linuxppc_2_4_devel tree, everything works.
I've now done kernel ports for several MPC107 based boards, all derived
from that tree, which use the "new way" you describe below.

> [description of "old way" snipped]

I think I may force the driver to run in polled mode on kernels which
use the "old way". Many of them fail to initialise the vector in the
EPIC.

> The "new way" of initializing the openpic uses the openpic_set_sources()
> routine which allows you to select just the vectors you want to
> initialize and assign them the IRQ values that you want (independent of
> their offset).  Much nicer and it doesn't write to vectors/locations
> that you don't want written.
>
> The problem for an I2C driver is that the IRQ is now board specific.
>
> So what to do?  Well, the board-specific file needs to initialize the
> I2C vector.  Also, there has to be some mechanism for the board-specific
> file to tell your driver what the IRQ is.  Maybe the best solution is to
> have the board-specific code set up the vector field in the IIVPR0 reg
> with the proper IRQ and then your driver won't need to change.  Seems
> fairly clean but you'll have to hack the board-specific code of any
> boards that will use the I2C driver.

If there's any interest I could tidy up the driver and submit it into
linuxppc_2_4_devel along with a patch that collects MPC107 configuration
into one place.

- Adrian Cox
http://www.humboldt.co.uk/