PowerMac vs. Intel for PowerPC Development Host

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se
Thu Feb 20 09:29:34 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 22:52, brian.auld at adic.com wrote:

> Out of all the feedback I received, only one person suggested developing on
> a PowerMac based Linux box, thus eliminating the need for cross-compiling. I
> have become more interested in this option as some people in our company
> have noted that cross-compiling embedded linux presented problems on past
> projects when it came to building certain 3rd party applications.

Compiling on a powerpc platform dose not automatically make things just
work you may have to build a cross compiler anyway depending on what
bugs in the target you have to work around.

Some programs is simpler to build native for sure but on the few times I
resorted to that I could build on the development card. It's nice to
have more than one platform for other reasons like when things do not
work you have something to compare against.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 719 70 20
126 25 Stockholm                  ken at switchboard.ericsson.se