Creating RAM disks as a non root user.

Kenneth Johansson ken at kieraypc01.tn.sw.ericsson.se
Wed Feb 5 21:47:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 22:52, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <2702075D4DE2B043BF5EB82E9CFAD45B093BBB at mail1.mediatrix.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Here is the recipe we use to mount ramdisk images without being a root user.
> > Note that the option 'user' in fstab allows any user to mount/unmount this specific entry.
>
> Just _mounting_ ramdisk images is not the problem...
>
> > You can either create new ramdisk images, or mount already existing ones (very useful!).
>
> ...but to create a useful ramdisk image you will usually also have to
> create the device nodes in the /dev directory. And this is  something
> that  really  _requires_ root permissions (or it would otherwise open
> huge security issues).

If you want full control over owner and group on a file by file basis
you can run fakeroot while creating the image/tar or whatever.

I don't know if fakeroot exist anywhere else than in debian but it
should not be hard to port.

--
Kenneth Johansson
Ericsson AB                       Tel: +46 8 404 71 83
126 25 Stockholm                  ken at switchboard.ericsson.se