Kernel boot: 'Kernel command line' not getting bootargs?????

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 5 10:23:20 EST 2003

In message <995FF289C9D69747A09E42992644595405B2364B at penguin.adic.com> you wrote:
> My bad. It's a good thing I'm not a pilot, I guess.

:-)

> I broke the boot sequence into steps (printenv, bootp, printenv, bootm) just
> for posting to this list, and missed the bootargs.
>
> HOWEVER, I still see the exact same problem when I execute 'run bootcmd'
> according to the 'printenv' listed below ... in which case 'bootargs' should
> be set.

I see.

Sorry, not having a Ebony board here for reference I dont know what's
happening to you. You may want to attach a BDI2000 and debug the boot
sequence (check for the arguments passed to the kernel).

> One more thing. I have to enter the 'run bootcmd' at the u-boot prompt. If I
> don't, there is no timeout and I just sit at the prompt forever. The way the
> PPCBoot Guide reads, it should boot automatically, but it doesn't. Is there
> something I'm missing here?

The default U-Boot config file for the Ebony board includes:

#define CONFIG_BOOTDELAY        -1                  /* disable autoboot */

Define some useful delay here (say 5  for  5  seconds)  and  re-build
U-Boot.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You could end up being oddly sad and full of a strange, diffuse  com-
passion  which would lead you to believe that it might be a good idea
to wipe out the whole human race and start again with amoebas.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_