Can software discover MPC8xx variant?

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Mon Feb 3 20:58:08 EST 2003

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  It looks like I can't
determine the 8xx variant from software in a reliable way.  The idea
about using pull up/pull down resistors is a good one - but the boards
have already been manufactured, so I am not in the position to be able
to hard-wire the information in this way.

The reason I want to know the 8xx variant, however, is to optimise s/w
for the performance of the chip.  So, I guess I can get away with just
knowing the clock speeds, and the cache sizes.

I know how to determine the clock speeds (they're in /proc/cpuinfo), but
can anybody tell me how to determine the cache sizes (in a
non-destructive manner such as is used by ppcboot).

Thanks,

Alex