440GP DMA and dma.h

Jeff Andre andre at guardian.stortek.com
Wed Dec 10 06:52:17 EST 2003

I'm trying to get DMA working on a custom board with a 440GP.  I was
having problem getting a DMA transfer started and traced the problem
to 'enable_dma' not being called.  After a bit amount of research I
found that my device driver didn't have an undefined external reference
to 'enable_dma'.

I traced the problem to the include of <linux/pci.h> that eventually
included <asm/scatterlist.h> that included <asm/dma.h>.  This header
has many of the DMA functions defined as inline and static, 'enable_dma'
being one of them.  If I comment out the include of <asm/dma.h> the
compiler finds the include in my driver of <asm/ppc4xx_dma.h> and DMA
transfers work (sort-of).

Does anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?  I can't believe
I'm the first to discover this.

Thanks,

Jeff Andre