the door is closing for 2.4

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Fri Dec 5 18:24:49 EST 2003

Dan Malek wrote:

> Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time I had it at least compile, but for my board only.
>> But then you mentioned you were working on it and I dropped it.
>

> I had been working on it, primarily to get the processor specific
> changes done.
>
>> Could you please elaborate on the tasks that need to be done?
>> I know that the head_8xx.S file definetely needs alot of work,
>> and you mentioned the drivers.
>

> The serial driver doesn't compile since the serial subsystem was
> reworked.  The old data structures used to represent port
> information (in particular serial_state) no longer works.
> Yes, head_8xx.S needs lots of work, but to me that is the easy part :-)

Well if you can get head_8xx.S in some decent shape I can get it to boot
since in a board of mine I don't use the built-in uart but an external
MAX3100.

Do the serial drivers based on the generic_serial interface still work
in 2.6?

>> What is the minimum stuff needed to make it work at least for my
>> boards?
>

> Make it compile again, I'll take it from there.

OK, I'll try (maybe with taking out the 8xx uart out completely).

>> I'd be happy to help at least as long as my busy schedule permits.
>

> Me, too.  Just don't be annoyed if it takes me a while to respond,
> especially if testing changes is involved.
>
> Thanks.
>

>     -- Dan

And finally do you think it makes sence to try to consolidate the 8xx
and 82xx drivers?
If we're going to need some major restructuring and/or rewrite of the
drivers that
makes sense IMHO.

Regards

Pantelis