Hardware Requrements for Linux on 405GPr

Stephen Williams 612dlag102 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 15 06:30:30 EST 2003

Mark Hatle fray-at-mvista.com |PPC Linux Embedded| wrote:
> An RTC is not required for Linux.  Many designs I have seen do not have
> one.  However, an RTC is an excellent device to have available!  Various
> applications and services may require a consistant, ever increasing
> time.  NFS is the one that comes to mind immediatly.  If the device is
> rebooted and the time goes back to default, NFS may have problems.

The first iteration of this device will HAVE a PCI connector and
go into a PCI slot of a host computer, but it will have a network
interface as well, to provide some minimal services such as a web
server for configuration and so forth. I can't thinkof anything
right off that will need the correct time, but who knows.

Well, actually there is logging.

As for memory, 64M of SDRAM w/ option for 128meg, and flash enough
to write a bootstrap loader to get the O/S off CompactFlash card.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,