Hardware Requrements for Linux on 405GPr

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Fri Aug 15 06:17:13 EST 2003

An RTC is not required for Linux.  Many designs I have seen do not have
one.  However, an RTC is an excellent device to have available!  Various
applications and services may require a consistant, ever increasing
time.  NFS is the one that comes to mind immediatly.  If the device is
rebooted and the time goes back to default, NFS may have problems.

RAM is something else thats nice to have.. :)  While 16 MB is usable, 32
MB or more is preferred in the applications that I am used to.  (You can
get away with 8 MB, but thats very tight usually.)

--Mark