Memory map with "holes"...

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Tue Aug 12 22:32:09 EST 2003

Hi all,

We are designing a board based on the MPC852T (MPC866 serivate), and
I want to make sure there is the possibility to mount different-size
SDRAM chips on it, so I just connect the two bank-select pins to some
higher address lines, leaving some out in between, in order to acomodate
for bigger chips in the future. The bottom line is that I will get the
memory map split up into 4 segments with vast holes between each segment
that are undefined. What do I need to keep in mind regarding linux
about this? I suppose it isn't an issue, but I want to be sure I don't
get any trouble later. Any experience with memory holes? I suppose the
boot-loader should tell the kernel about the memory-map, in a way just
like lilo on an x86 machine, am I right? Does this work the same way on
linux-ppc ?

Greetings,

--
David Jander