Potential problem in fec.c for 8xx

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Sat Sep 21 06:26:35 EST 2002

Stephan Linke wrote:
> normaly this shouldn't happen. By default the interrupts of the PHY chips
> are disabled (see PHY register settings). So when you enable the 8xx
> interrupt nothing should happen.
> So FEC driver has the time to detect the PHY and setup the registers.
After
> the registers are initializes (esp. interrupt mask) the first interrupts
may
> appeare.

This _is_ a problem with the LXT970 PHY (which is still used
on the FADS 860T). There is some discussion and a patch at
 http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4205/2001/12/0/7375297/
and http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-embedded/200110/msg00107.html

I suppose other PHYs could have similar problems.
I think it is fixed in my tree and also Wolfgang Denk's.
Unfortunately I don't have a clean patch against any current
kernel.

Dave Ellis
SIXNET - "Leading the Industrial Ethernet Revolution"
331 Ushers Road,   P.O. Box 767, Clifton Park, NY 12065 USA
Tel +1 (518) 877-5173   Fax +1 (518) 877-8346
Email me at: dge at sixnetio.com
Detailed product info: www.sixnetio.com