booting Linux on est8260 using FCC2

Allen Curtis acurtis at directvinternet.com
Thu Oct 17 02:26:31 EST 2002

> CONFIG_FEC_ENET is correct.  I do not have any history with this problem
> but a co-worker of mine does.  Back in the early Linux 2.4 days he was
> experiencing the same type of problem.  He remembers that he received
> some code from outside the source tree which solved the problem.  That
> was about a year ago.  Windriver was chosen as the operating system and
> the Linux code has long been deleted.  Nothing seems to jog his memory
> when he looks at the 2.4.20 source.  Of course early 2.4 to 2.4.20 is a
> lifetime ago.  I don't think I am doing anything out of the norm.  I use
> the arch/ppc/configs/est8260_defconfig for my starting point and then I
> disable CONFIG_SCC_ENET and enable CONFIG_FEC_ENET.

1. Did this work until you wanted to bootp?
2. Did you confirm that 8260_io/fcc_enet.c is configured with the same RX/TX
clocks as your hardware? (I had to change this and submitted patches to make this
a configuration option. Never made it into the tree.)
3. If you are not using MII to sense the speed, the driver initializes to
half-duplex. Look at this driver initilization if this is a potential problem.

Hope this helps.