HHL 2.1 preview kit

Chuck Meade chuck at theptrgroup.com
Mon Oct 7 09:04:07 EST 2002

Gianfranco,

I recently did something similar on an 860 board.  I see that you
are using an 82xx so these issues may be similar.  I do not think
that anything I encountered in bringing up the more recent version
of Linux was 860-related.

First, look at the board info struct in your Linux tree in
include/asm-ppc/<board-specific-name>.h.  This struct must
be compatible with PPCBoot's board info struct, which is in
the PPCBoot tree under include/ppcboot.h.  I used a modified
version of the Linux header file mbx.h to make it compatible.
Also, under the PPCBoot command shell, if the version of Linux
you are booting is more recent than 2.4.5-pre5, you need to get
rid of the PPCBoot environment variable clocks_in_mhz.
Like this:

=> setenv clocks_in_mhz
=> saveenv

Having nothing to the right of the variable name will delete
the variable altogether.  Doing these steps allowed me to
boot Linux 2.4.18.

I was not using HHL 2.1, just a downloaded Linux 2.4.18 with
ppc patches, this time.  That probably has nothing to do with
what you are seeing though.

Hope that helps,
Chuck Meade
chuck at ThePTRGroup.com