Downloading Linux image using Riscwatch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 2 04:40:56 EST 2002

In message <001b01c26976$233e0640$370da8c0 at aman> you wrote:

>  I am using PPC 440GP processor on custom board. This board doesnt not have
>  Ethernet support and there is no rom monitor code in the board. Is it
>  possible to download the Linux image to the board using JTAG . If so what
>  type of image should I build.

You can download the kernel, but it will not run ;-)

The Linux kernel relies on a lot of initialization to be done by  the
firmware  -  things  like initializing and sizing the memory, passing
boot arguments etc.

I suggest you start porting PPCBoot.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10%  takes
the other 90% of the time.