bi_record and initrd

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Nov 20 05:11:07 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:02:57PM +0100, Magnus Damm wrote:

> > Can you give more information about where everything is loaded up at?  I
> > thought this was a non-issue, but it's been a while since I tested
> > initrds.
>
> Sure.
[snip]
> this mail says something about typos or misuse of _ALIGN().
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8358/2002/9/0/9715261/

I _think_ this is intentional, ie make sure we have bigger than needed
alignments, possibly to try and avoid what we've hit here.

> If _ALIGN() now is used correctly, then the align definition
> maybe chould be changed from
> #define _ALIGN(addr,size)        (((addr)+size-1)&(~(size-1)))
> #define _ALIGN(addr,size)        (((addr)+(size)-1)&(~((size)-1)))
> to make sure that size is treated correctly. Or maybe it's a feature. =)

Fixing that now, thanks.

> Second example:
[snip]
> I have not been able to output the value of zimage_size for this case, but I'm
> sure that my initrd gets overwritten with the bi_record at 0x00200000.

Yeah, I'm sure too.  Here's an untested patch vs current
linuxppc_2_4_devel, which will relocate the initrd if needed.  The
current bi_rec code in the kernel shouldn't care if the initrd is moved
(This was broken in the past and then pointed out / fixed later, so I'm
rather confident of this part :)) so it should be OK.

For 2.5, I'm pondering going back and re-reading all of the discussions
and maybe even starting on it, with an arbitrary location for the
bi_recs which would let this case be much simpiler.

> Another thing - why is the second argument (dstlen) to gunzip() always 4 megabytes?
> Maybe it could be set to the address that the image is loaded at / relocated to?
> (0x180000 above) That way the gunzip function wouldn't overwrite the running code,
> if I understand the dstlen argument correctly that is.

I'm not sure about this part.  Tested patches are welcome of course. :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/