bi_record and initrd

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Nov 19 01:19:49 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:08:57AM -0700, Cort Dougan wrote:

> This would be a good opportunity to switch-over to allowing the bootloader
> stick the initrd where it wants and just pass the physical pointer in via
> bi_record in all cases.  It would certainly simplify these cases.

I'm not so sure.  In the case of arch/ppc/boot/ and not on OF, there
aren't many places we really know are 'good' that we can throw things.
I think what might help, and that we can do in 2.5 even, is allow the
bootloader to put the bi_recs wherever it wants to, pass that along in
r3 or r4 or so, and then in this case, we would align the bi_recs at
_ALIGN(0+zimage)+_ALIGN(initrd), and if that's > 8MB, make sure that we
don't allow the end of the initrd to be overwritten too.

And keep in mind it's Monday, and I haven't had any coffee yet, if
there's any horribly silly mistakes above :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/