NFS root manipulation without being superuser?

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Sat Nov 16 09:42:45 EST 2002

Tuber.  I like that :-).

My suggestion was slightly different from your script:
1) Your script is going to chown _all_ the exported files.  That is bad.
2) I would change only the _group_, not the owner.  This will prevent
breaking SUID programs.

Your oneliner (UNTESTED) would then be:
# cd <nfs-root-dir> && find . -uid 0 | xargs chgrp xroot

and changing back would be:
# cd <nfs-root-dir> && find . -uid 0 | xargs chgrp root

Note that, since the owner doesn't change, it is easy to mess with only the
root-owned files.

With respect to newly created files, I don't have a good solution, but the
above script would be simple to fix them up again.  You could even use
"-uid 0 -gid 0" to find only the newly created ones.

gvb