NFS root manipulation without being superuser?

Jeff Kowing jeffrey.d.kowing at nasa.gov
Sat Nov 16 03:37:16 EST 2002

During embedded system developement, I use an NFS root mounted
filesystem that is exported from my development workstation.  I am
constantly having to "su root" on my development workstation when I
want to manipulate the root filesystem for the target machine. I was
wondering if anyone uses a safer technique that allows manipulation of
the target's root filesystem without being root on the development
workstation.

I know I could make the exported filesystem all be owned by my
unprivledged user and group name, but I would like the target machine
to see those files as owned by root as would normally be the case.

Anyways, I was just curious if I am missing out on some cool technique
that other's use that I am not brilliant enough to come up with on my
own.

Thanks.
--
Jeff Kowing