Kernel message missing characters!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 23 02:20:58 EST 2002

In message <3C9B393E.4958C98E at ftel.co.uk> you wrote:

> ppcboot as boot loader and kernel 2.4.7. The console is set up on serial
>
> SMC2. I've changed little bit code on arch/ppc/boot/mbx/m8260_tty.c to
> enable it supports SMC2. But when I boot kernel,  the console output

Seems you didn't do this right, then.

> seems missing characters like below:
> Ttlmmr  2M;uig0Bfrhs al a 0000
> Lnxvrin247 wn at ihmr.tlc.k gcvrin30 1FiMr1 53:7GT20
> oe0:378pgs:378
> oe2:0pgs.
> Kre omn ie ot/e/f wnsot121..4:epr/p-f-oti=7.61.1:7.6213121..1:5.5..:iuAM

Well known problem, every second character is missing.

> Does anybody can give me some clue how to fix it?

Make sure to enable SMC1 as serial port, too. If the  console  is  on
SMC2,  _both_ SMC1 and SMC2 must be enabled as a serial ports, or you
have to adjust the uart driver a bit.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that  causes  you
to  stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you
have crossed the mountain.