Accessing BCSR's

Jeremy Rosen Jeremy.Rosen at au.thalesgroup.com
Mon Mar 4 11:42:22 EST 2002

I have investigated a little further, and in arch/ppc/mm/init.c, it
calls ppc_md.setup_io_mapping(), which remaps 1:1 the BCSRs
(in arch/ppc/kernel/m8xx_map_io), so (if I understand your explanation
and the code properly) the BCSR should be at the same address in PPCBOOT
and in the kernel space... so accessing offset ff010000 in /dev/mem or
/dev/kmem should give me access to it... is that it ? Because if it is,
I can't make it work...

I'll try to access some of the internal maps in the IMMR to see if they
work...

thx anyway
Jeremy

>>> Magnus Damm <damm at opensource.se> 03/04/02 10:57am >>>
Hi,

If you have memory-mapped io (The (F)ADS8xx BCSR registers is a
good example) which is mapped to a certain physical address, it
is very simple to access it if the MMU is turned off.

The Linux kernel runs with the MMU on, and it needs a
virtual-to-physical
address mapping to be able to access memory-mapped io.

So, my 2.2-kernel has a file called arch/ppc/mm/init.c.

Inside that file there's a function called "ioremap()" - that is what
you are looking for.

Make sure that your Linux kernel has a virtual page for your io-area,
and access the virtual address that is returned by "ioremap()".

If you use "ioremap()" before a certain moment when the Linux kernel
starts up, you will get a 1:1 mapping between virtual and physical
addresses.
(This is true for 2.2 anyhow)

Look how the internal io block is ioremap():ped for a good example how
it is done.

Cheers /

magnus