Can I run linux without a file system?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 22 07:06:07 EST 2002

In message <3.0.3.32.20020621143133.006d37a8 at hollabaugh.com> you wrote:

> I can say that a minimum RedHat install uses 29,296 files – 382.020MB, debian 10,734 files - 67.428MB, my minimal root filesystem 82 files and 4.8MB.

You cannot really call this a "minimal root filesystem".

A small (not even this is minimal, nor optimized) image can be found at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/mini-2048kB-ramdisk.image.gz

This has:
	-> find .
	.
	./lost+found
	./bin
	./bin/sh
	./bin/ls
	./dev
	./dev/ttyS0
	./dev/tty
	./dev/console
	./lib
	./lib/ld.so.1
	./lib/libc-1.99.so
	./lib/libc.so.6
	./lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
	./lib/libtermcap.so.2
	-> du -sk .
	1367    .

Obvious optimizations: rmdir lost+found, use busybox instead of  bash
+ ls, ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Were there fewer fools, knaves would starve.              - Anonymous