consistent_alloc from an interrupt context

Eugene Surovegin ebs at innocent.com
Thu Jun 13 14:24:31 EST 2002

Dan,

At 09:05 PM 6/12/2002, you wrote:
Hmmmm.....Why did I think this was corrected in the past?  I see all of
>the consistent_alloc users are doing the same thing.  I know we discussed
>this, and the solution was actually quite trivial.  All we have to do is
>pass a GFP_ATOMIC into the kmalloc() (called by get_vm_area()).  IIRC,
>we added a 'gfp' parameter to get_vm_area() (and changed all callers, which
>was just a few), and then passed the 'gfp' into the kmalloc().  I know
>many of us tried it and everything worked sweetly :-)
>
>I thought the change was readily accepted by the generic code powers, I guess
>no one actually checked it in :-)  You could make the change locally and have
>a good day :-)  All you have to do is add the parameter to get_vm_area(),
>find all of the places it is currently called and add 'GFP_KERNEL' as the
>parameter.  In consistent_alloc(), just pass the 'gfp' variable.

I thought of it, but is it OK to modify arch-independent code with such a hack?

Maybe this is the reason it never was accepted.

Though, it's obviously much simpler than solution I used :)

  Eugene Surovegin <mailto:ebs at innocent.com>