Serial console ports on systems with no console connected.

Arun Dharankar ADharankar at ATTBI.Com
Thu Jul 11 11:53:19 EST 2002

This too is an excellent response! Thanks Jerry!

Here are some thoughts on the issue:

- The problem is may be because of hardware signals/flow control
  (RTS/CTS and/or DSR/DTR).  Perhaps, null modem cross
  connections may be made on the board itself for the console port.

- However, many boards have more than one serial port. In which
  case it is not possible to know at hardware design time which
  port is going to be used at a later time as console, and which for
  general purpose access. For those port(s) not used as a console,
  the hardware flow control may be important.

Given this paradigm, the flow control needs ignored or used by
software depending on whether the port is to be used as a console.
The default implementation/behavior, I believe, is also done properly
in this context - just the console case needs to be specialized.

If the above is a common case for other boards too, a common
solution may also be discussed/investigated. This was my thought
in the starting post for looking at a clean/proper solution. Again,
I think, the problem is common to ppcboot and Linux.

Jerry has also some good points, I intend to check some of
these tomorrow. Will keep the list posted with my findings.

Best regards,
-Arun.