Serial console ports on systems with no console connected.

Arun Dharankar ADharankar at ATTBI.Com
Tue Jul 9 22:08:15 EST 2002

Hello, and thanks for your reply!

The board has SCC4 and SMC1 based serial ports. I have
tried both of these as console ports under Linux and PPCBOOT.
PPCBOOT code is unmodified (as it is from the distribution) for
SCC4 and SMC1 code. The Linux code is unmodified for
SMC1, and I see this behavior in case of both these serial
ports.

The place where the BDI shows the PC to hang is in
serial_putc(...) waiting for the transmit buffer to be drained by the
8260:

    /* Wait for last character to go.
    */
    while (tbdf->cbd_sc & BD_SC_READY)
        ;

Ofcourse, when the cable is present, things work well.

Though I dont see any code path, or from hardware perspective
what could be wrong, I am open to any guesses/hints at
debugging it.

Best regards,
-Arun.