NVRAM/RTC

Matt Porter porter at cox.net
Sat Dec 14 04:35:40 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:35:22PM +0530, Aman wrote:
> This might be a very basic question. By porting what do you mean?. As of now

By "porting", I mean adding a set of code that reflect the unique
characteristics of your custom board.

> I copied the ebony bsp to different location and did changes to boot on the
> custom board. Till now it was booting without any problem. Once I changed
> the EBC configuration to configure some other FPGA ,bcos of which  linux
> booting hangs at " Now Booting the kernel ".

Hrm, without knowing your custom board I can't really comment on
the potential source of something that is specific to your board.

You can try enabling early boot text messages.  Hopefully it still
works on 440, I heard a rumor that it might be broken which would
require some changes to head_440.S.  An easier path is, of course,
using a hardware debugger (BDI) to point you to where you are
dying...I usually just dump logbuf before the console is inited
so I can read the buffered oops message.

> I commented the ioremap of RTC, and the definitions of
> ppc_md.set_rtc_time = todc_set_rtc_time;
>
> ppc_md.get_rtc_time = todc_get_rtc_time;
>
>  still the same problem. Should I hv to do something else also.

You need to get rid of time_init, set_rtc_time, get_rtc_time,
nvram_read_val, nvram_write_val too.

You *will* get an oops from a machine check if you even have
todc_time_init enabled...it will be attempting to read from
some bogus location.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter