QMC driver for 860?

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Tue Dec 3 02:21:44 EST 2002

Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

>>OK
>>
>>You asked for it ;).
>>
>>The file netvia_tsa.c is the actual QMC + stuff driver.
>>The file netvia_bri.c is an example driver.
>>The header files are the QMC definitions.
>>
>>Linux kernel version is 2.4.20.
>>
>>Don't hesitate to ask for any explanations.
>>
>>Pantelis
>>

>Thanks a lot!
>
>I have just browsed the driver and I noticed that there is room for performance
>improvements in netvia_tsa.c w.r.t memcpy(). You can avoid the memcpy() call
>for received packets by using invalidate_dcache_range(). I did this for
>the 8xx_io/enet.c driver a few weeks ago(it's not in BK yet).
>
>See http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-embedded/200210/msg00317.html
>and
>http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-embedded/200210/msg00272.html
>
>   Jocke

Yes, I know the trick. I'm looking forward to see your changes
make it in. As it stands I'm not tracking the BK PPC tree, but
the Linus tree. Being behind the company firewall, BK is not
very useful.

In this driver case since I'm reading the packet in a non-cachable
area, and not directly in a skb, I'm not convinced that
the invalidate_dcache_range will be a great win.

If you do any performance testing I'm very interested in
your results.

Pantelis

P.S. Is there anyone in the list interested in this?
Should I clean it up, and submit it?