Password on ELDK nfs booting

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 27 23:24:54 EST 2002

Hi,

in message <007601c24da2$2f0e4420$1a11efcb at industrialDiv.hanasys.co.kr> you wrote:

> I booted on nfs mounted ELDK.
> I changed root password, rebooted and enter the password.
> But the password did not entered.
> I got Login timed out message after 60 second.

You must have done something wrong; setting, modifying  and  deleting
passwords works fine here:

bash-2.04# cat /etc/passwd
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
bash-2.04# passwd
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
bash-2.04# cat /etc/passwd
root:$1$kVReOwuM$hoM6p0uK11zbUAFP378O/1:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:
bash-2.04# exit
logout

pm826 login: root
Password:
Last login: Tue Aug 27 15:21:01 on console
bash-2.04# passwd -d root
Changing password for user root
Removing password for user root
passwd: Success
bash-2.04# cat /etc/passwd
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:

> eva login: root
> Password: Login timed out after 60 seconds
> tts/0: 1 input overrun(s)

It seems you are using devfs; try running without  it.  I  don't  see
much   advantages   of  devfs  for  embedded  systems  where  such  a
flexibility is usually not needed, on contrary.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty. You might want  to  mug
someone with it."                   - M. Devine, Computer Science 340