ocp emac phy wierdness

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Aug 26 11:18:14 EST 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:09:19AM -0700, Armin Kuster wrote:

> David,
>
> The whole phy idea back when I did it was modeled after the fec.c driver
> with the thought that at some point we could merge all phy_info structs
> into a common file.  The same idea was applied to the mii routines.  I
> noticed that code/information is duplicated in a few ethernet drivers in
> ppc.  Some of the what you see will be used when we add link support
> driver, some of the 4xx boards with zmii bridges have interrupt
> capability.  The phy implementation is a project that is not completed. :)

By all means share the phy_info structures between ethernet drivers.
That doesn't explain why:
	a) We queue the various phy operations, then process the
queue, rather than just stepping through the commands as soon as
requested.
	b) Why the queue is processed with schedule_task(), rather
than directly inline.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson